Re: Debian derivatives front desk: where to from here?

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 01:55:16 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

[...]

> Where do we want the Debian Derivatives Front Desk to go from here?

[...]

> Some thoughts:

[...]

> Annual face-to-face meeting at DebConf, perhaps similar to what we had
> at DebConf10, hopefully with a more diverse set of derivatives
> represented ;)

Getting to debconf is generally non-trivial, so i expect you'll have
trouble getting people along. That said, I'd love to make it along :)

> Census of Debian derivatives. Which ones still exist, how are they
> doing, what is their relationship with Debian, places for Debian folks
> to ask them questions, published resources (bug trackers, patches,
> repositories) etc. Results can be placed on the website and more

Sounds sensible. (I know gNewSense doesn't yet provide most of those
things, but I'd like to be able to).

> detailed info on the wiki. First start should be to audit the list of
> child distros on the website. Updated in an ongoing manner, but
> announce a "census" annually. For an example of what to put in the

eg, in the dwn?

> census, take a look at these pages I just created:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Ubuntu
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusTemplate

I've put in a very basic gNewSense page.

> Any more thoughts, ideas or folks who could volunteer to help
> implement the above?

I'd be interested in seeing if/how derivatives can collaborate on their
infrastructure. There must be lots of things that we share that we
could stop duplicating. (this has been partly discussed on this list in
the past).

> PS: it would be great if more folks could join the IRC channel
> (#debian-derivatives on irc.debian.org aka OFTC).

Is there more activity then this list? I'm trying to keep my irc
channels list sane.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)