Derivatives maintaining packages in Debian (WAS: Re: Uploading new packages to Debian instead of Ubuntu)

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:02:58 +0100
Iain Lane <laney@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
>

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:49:10PM -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:

> >> That one individual would be ultimately signing their name on lots
> >> of packages, diluting their reputation if long-term maintenance
> >> doesn't end up being forthcoming after they're marshalled the
> >> initial uploads.
> >>
> >> Back when people like Scott and mjg59 were still DDs I found it
> >> relatively easy (and therefore not overly onorous) to get uploads
> >> done on a semi-predictable turn-around.
>
> Actually, in addition to what I've said above, we now have the
> #debian-ubuntu channel on OFTC set up. I believe that one function of
> this channel could be to facilitate sponsorship in Debian. There's
> also the Derivatives Front Desk[1], which is part of the same
> initiative.

I was thinking about how a derivative could best help maintain packages
upstream. Iains thread seems like a good place to start exploring the
ideas, so i thought i'd put some out there.

As i see it, there is roughly 4 types of package:
- packages with a single maintainer (who doesn't want to group maintain
it)
- packages with group maintenance/single maintainer who will take on
group maintenance.
- packages with no maintenance.
- new packages

And I'll split out roughly 3 types of contributor from downstreams:
- those interested in becoming part of debian, but have no particular
attachment to existing packages.
- those who are interested in specific packages
- those who simply want to help get packages maintained upstream.

The first category of packages won't benefit from any of the
downstreams particularly - they will all likely provide a patch and
move on.

The second type of package stand to benefit most from the first two
types of contributor - they are potential co-maintainers.

The third type of package stands to gain the most, but realistically
only from the second class of contributor - someone who wants to adopt
it, perhaps followed by group maintainership by interested
person+others.

The last category is what started this discussion - new packages. I'd
suggest the second type of contributor would be the most
directly productive here, followed by the first then last. However
having the first and third class of contributors could help to colab
maint a package - drawing benefit from all three.

I'm sure I've left a lot to be desired in this breakdown - other
thoughts/comments?

> One of my Big Things is contributing to Debian directly instead of
> making uploads to Ubuntu. I think that MOTU functions best when it
> performs a QA role, and that everything is so much smoother when work
> is done as far upstream as possible. Most packages — especially ones
> that turn up on REVU — will work on both distributions using exactly
> the same source package.

Its also one of my Big Things, but for gNewSense :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au