Re: Introductions

* Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> [Mit Jun 23, 2010 at 02:11:40 +0100]:

> I'm not sure who's on this list, as it's just getting started, so maybe
> folks could introduce themselves?

My name is Garrett D'Amore, and I'm the Director of Engineering, Kernel
Software, here at Nexenta Systems.

To be honest, I'm still quite new to Debian, but I've many years of
hacking on operating systems kernels and device drivers for FOSS,
especially OpenSolaris and NetBSD, but also occasionally Linux.  (I
first encountered Linux back in 1991 at UC Berkeley, when the only
distributions were SLS and the MCC Interim Release. ;-)  (I'm also the
top contributor -- as counted by unique integrations -- to the
OpenSolaris core ON consolidation.)

As I think Anil has already indicated, we're working on a number of
things to make an OpenSolaris/Debian hybrid, with best of class kernel
software, and the benefits of Debian's enormous community.

Right now I'm working on addressing some of the greater concerns about
merging these two communities -- especially addressing the problem that
OpenSolaris today still depends on certain closed source bits from
Oracle.

We'll have a lot more to say on this in the future, and I'm looking
forward to meeting a bunch of you at debconf10.

	- Garrett