Re: About us derivatives

On Jun 22, 2010, at 14:39, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 01:08:27PM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> But I think derivatives can be played as an advantage to use Debian.
>
> Sure, that is an interesting stance.  Still, I agree that we're getting
> a bit OT here; you're basically arguing about what Debian should use as
> one of its "selling point" and that is really a topic for -www, as
> Rhonda already reported.
>
> Thanks for your input however: we're looking forward for some questions
> on yours, or anyone else, on how to integrate some derivative work into
> Debian :-)

One of the interesting potential contributions from derivatives might be in the form of Quality Assurance. I know that Nokia hacked a bit on Lintian for Maemo for example and I started an official community project to develop a Lintian clone for Maemo taking into account Maemo's own environment and needs. So I can see those contributions from derivative Debian distributions as being interesting perhaps. I realize that maybe the changes are too specific to the needs of the derivative distro often, but perhaps there elements of their changes to Lintian (if any) that may pertain to Debian. Or perhaps these tests could be incorporated as a separate test suite making Lintian the de facto package policy conformance testing tool for Debian and Debian-derived distros. I think there is a lot of useful work already done there and lots more to do.

Regards,

Jeremiah