Re: SMTP 550 on replies to bugs

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:13:52AM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Oleg Verych (Gmane) wrote:
> >Is it new policy to closed bugs or what? If it is, it's very sad,
> >that i can't contribute info, replying to users ccing bts, as in reply-to.
> [...]
> ><435723@bugs.debian.org>: host bugs.debian.org[140.211.166.43] said:
> >   550 unknown user (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> Not closed bugs, rather archived bugs.
>
> And no, it's not new. Archived bugs haven't accepted mail for as long as I
> can remember. Of course there was a long period where bugs weren't getting
> archived but that was a technical issue rather than policy.

I think it's a relatively recent change that it gets rejected at SMTP
time; you used to get a normal debbugs ack that said something like:

  This may be because that bug report has been resolved for more than 28
  days, and the record of it has been archived and made read-only, or
  because you mistyped the bug report number.

I think it's a step forward that it gets rejected at SMTP time, but
perhaps the 550 message could be made more helpful.