Re: Processed: Reopen: #311233 'man suxterm' typo: "transfering"

First off, the appropriate place to discuss feature requests in the
BTS is by filing a wishlist bug against the debbugs package (or
perhaps bugs.debian.org) not by mailing owner@bugs.debian.org. [If
it's an informal request, try mailing debian-debbugs@lists.debian.org.
Sending the next message there.]

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, A. Costa wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:35:34 -0800 Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
> wrote:
> > It's necessarily so, as the changelog for a package should only be
> > added to.
>
> On the contrary, from my post of of 3/9:
>
> 	Instead the above quoted changelog could say something like:
>
> 		16:  * fix typo in suxterm.1 (Close-pending: #311233).

Pending tags should not be set by an upload. The only thing that
differs is whether an upload sets the fixed tag or closes the bug, and
this is dependent on whether the upload is an NMU or not.

When you've made an upload, you either fixed a bug or you didn't. You
never put a bug in a pending state by an upload.

> > The changelog is used to document the changes made to a package.
> > The BTS documents bugs and the status of bugs. Changes outside of
> > closing a bug are outside of the scope of a changelog.
>
> If that's the current standard, it seems surprising that Debian
> changelogs include lone BTS bug numbers instead of bug descriptions
> -- surely the bug numbers are meant for the convenience of BTS
> readers.

I have no clue what you're trying to say here. Clearly the changelog
messages include descriptions of what is being closed.

> So; if I understand correctly, there would be by your above
> description, at least TWO Debian bug closings:
>
> 	a) Closing a bug in the package, recorded in the changelog.
> 	   (in common usage, the fix.)
>
> 	b) Closing that bug on the BTS.	  (in common usage, the BTS close.)

You should be using -done, not close.

> > The pending tag, FE, is used to indicate that the maintainer has
> > the fix for the bug prepared, and will be closing the bug on the
> > next upload to Debian. [See tagpending in devscripts for an
> > example of how this is used.]
>
> Thanks for the lead to 'tagpending'. But its man page doesn't
> mention any different behavior for NMU uploads. Would this mean that
> NMs don't have permission to run 'tagpending'?

It's generally fine if they run it. The whole point of the pending tag
is to indicate that the bug is having a fix prepared. Of course, the
maintainer can ask that the NMUer not tag bugs pending, and that would
be fine as well... but I can't think of any maintainers who have a
problem with that.

Don Armstrong

--
Sentenced to two years hard labor (for sodomy), Oscar Wilde stood
handcuffed in driving rain waiting for transport to prison.  "If this