Re: search_packages.pl?

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:55:15PM -0400, jlynch wrote:
> 	One thing that I'm wondering about is the "package page" which
> debbugs seems to want to use. If you look at the list of bugs for a
> particular package using the web interface, at the top of the screen there
> is a link to visit the "package page" for this particular package, which,
> by default, sends you to packages.debian.org/package-name. If you take the
> link, you end up getting to a page on debian that uses a cgi script
> "search_packages.pl".

It's basically a completely different system to debbugs, that tracks
packages in the archive and pulls their copyright files etc out for
display on the web. It's maintained by Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
and Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>.

> 	So I guess the question is, what is this cgi script, and/or how
> can I reproduce it? Or is there any other way to get this functionality
> for my own installation?

If it were me, I'd be inclined to setup a redirect domain that goes
from packages.foo/<pkgname> to a wikipage about my modifications to
the package. Or just make it a wiki directly, I guess.

> I know the script isn't included in the debbugs
> package, and I suspect that it is something the folks at debian made for
> themselves, although I could be wrong. It's always possible, though, for
> me to write a simple script that would output the control file from all of
> our custom packages into a directory, and point my installation to that
> folder...

That's a good option too.

Cheers,
aj