Re: X-debbugs-cc in the pseudo-header

[MFT set this time]

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:11:38AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 04:14:34PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > I'm writing a bit of anciliary documentation about the BTS, and I'm up to
> > talking about X-Debbugs-Cc.  The official docs at
> > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting state, rather emphatically, that it
> > must be in the mail header, not the pseudo-header.  Three questions:
> >
> > 1) Is this still accurate information?
>
> Yes, it is.
>
> > 2) Why is it done this way, instead of allowing either the mail or pseudo
> > header to carry it?
> >
> > 3) Could the code be modified to scan the pseudo-header as well for
> > X-Debbugs-Cc?
>
> I think the main question is what to do when both exist. Concatenate the
> values, maybe? (It seems unlikely, but people do all kinds of weird
> stuff.)
>
> Also, "X-Debbugs-" is a kind of weird prefix to have on a pseudo-header,
> since it's only there because of the way the mail header format works.
> I'd expect any pseudo-header equivalent to be simply "Cc:".

OK, has anyone considered normalising the user interface, with something
like "You can put a Cc: in the pseudo-header or X-Debbugs-Cc: in the mail
header, if there's both (Cc|X-Debbugs-Cc) gets precedence and the other one
is ignored"?

Is there any particular reason why the mail header got the special Cc
instead of the pseudo-header?  I'm just trying to get a good reason as to
why it was done that way In The Beginning and never changed.  I can't
understand why monkeying the mail header was thought the right way for this
one feature, when we already have a pseudo-header carrying all sorts of
other useful information.

If there's no technological reason why it can't be done, would the debbugs
(and Debian BTS) maintainers be willing to accept a patch from me to
implement (and document) a Cc (or other acceptably named) field in the
pseudo-header to serve as a normalised adjunct or replacement to
X-Debbugs-Cc?

- Matt