Re: spam fighting and the bts

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:10:49PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> It's not your checks that are causing it.  It's spammers flooding the bts.

It's a combination.  The additional checks were causing each message
to take several seconds to process.  If we get 40,000 spams/day, we
only have about 2 seconds to process each message with the current
design of single-threading through spamscan.  (And that's assuming
that the messages are distributed evenly, which they arn't.)

Unless we can convince spammers to reduce the amount of spam they send
us, we need to do something.

	Make spamscan multi-threaded.  Best but most work.

	Use DSBL to block mail.  Are we willing to do this?  Needs
help from debian-admin.

	Use a local DNS server for DSBL.  DSBL allows rsync zone
transfers, and spohr is already running bind.  (although resolve.conf
does not point to the nameserver on spohr.)  SBL allows zone transfers
only for large ISPs with prior arangement, and we don't get 250,000
messages/day yet.  Needs help from debian-admin.

CrossaAssassin is now adding a header to each message accepted.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html