Re: Regaining Access to the Control Bot

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:12:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:16:41PM +1000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> [2003-10-24 10:57]:
> > > No, not even on owner@bugs. I believe Anthony banned him after the
> > > close+reopen war on that glibc bug. That's about it. I have warned him
> > > to make the process more transparent the last time he did that, but it
> > > still hasn't happened. We'll at least have to remember the date of
> > > banning and expire the bans after a set time period.
> [...]
> > I suggest Brian to be removed from there, unless someone can come up
> > with a good reason.
>
> Well, it's been a week and a half and no one has replied, not even a
> member of the BTS administration team.
>
> Has Brian been unbanned?

I've (er, unilaterally) removed this ban until such time as somebody
explains it properly, and preferably also sets some kind of time limit
or conditions on it.

I'd recommend that the glibc close/reopen war in question be handled
better from now on. Anthony did say "contact the upstream copyright
holder", and I think it would be a *very good idea* for somebody to do
that instead of further use of control@bugs as a debating stick. It's
not meant to be used that way. There's been much hand-wringing about
what kind of contact might be suitable, but as far as I can see no
actual *action*, so it's all moot. That's really rather disappointing
given the amount of energy otherwise expended on this bug.

Also, Branden, your rants about BTS administrator accountability really
don't help motivate us to do *anything*, frankly; please put a lid on
it. I didn't respond earlier because I was busy setting up a new laptop
on an unfamiliar architecture, trying to sort out complications in my
personal life, dealing with having too much to do at work, and preparing
for my birthday. I imagine others have similar reasons. I can really do
without the conspiracy theories.

[Due to the aforementioned anniversary, I'm not entirely sober and it's
late. Please excuse total lack of diplomacy.]

Cheers,