Re: installer location on mirrors

On 05/22/2012 12:52 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
And both of you just miss the point.

i don't think so (for my part, that is).

We are NOT talking about udebs.
We are NOT talking about whatever debian-cd creates.

We are talking about the installer images. Those that "fall out of the
debian-installer" source.

exactely, which, as i said, have non-free parts included in some derivatives.

e.g.: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

(for system where the nic needs firmware, the netboot initrd already needs to contain it in order to work).

But the link to debian-cd created images answers the question in a
different way: It won't have installer images in contrib/non-free. The
only non-free stuff we would be likely to add - is added by debian-cd in
an extra set of cd images.

for derivatives that choose to support users with d-i+non-free-udebs images, they can today store them in dists/$codename/non-free/installer-$arch/[...].

with your proposal, it's effectively impossible for derivatives to store their d-i+non-free-udebs images in a reasonable location within the archive.

therefore my request to account for non-free within the archive for the new installer images location *eventhough* official debian does not yet or ever use it.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net