Re: Hashsum mismatch prevention strategies

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:
> On 12843 March 1977, David Kalnischkies wrote:
>> Option B would be to introduce "versioned" components.
>
> *hate*, sorry. Thats just too ugly IMO.
>
> Though a variation of that, doing it with "versioned" suites, I would
> hate less. But still not nice.
>
> Right now my tendency would go to a hash based tree for the indices
> combined with hardlinks for the old tools and also the users.

What about a slight variation:

In Release include a "Id" field, then move all indices to
Release (ie. main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz and others).  Diffs could be
moved to dists/<dist>/diff.

This would be easier to inspect by hand than hash-based schemes.  I
suggest to also include a "current" symlink for this (which would not be
used by apt).

A downside is that APT would need logic to use "indices/<id>" for some
files and "diff" for others.

Ansgar