smart upload server

Hi

I'm Peter, working on Smart Upload Server during GSoC [0], which just
started, and i want/need you to help me specify the whole thing.

My current idea is based on [1], but create such thing over HTTP now,
and with possibility to use some others transport protocols in future.

The first thing i need to work out is what exactly should be send
between server/client. My basic idea about commands is like:

1) client > server: BEGIN + .changes_file
2) server > client: OK or ERROR + error_message (bad signature, old etc.)

and then foreach file in .changes
3) client > server: FILE + file content
4) server > client: OK or ERROR + error_message

After that there could be some message to server that it's done, but
it's unnecessary because he should now that from .changes file.

Server could also ask before file transfer which one he wants to get,
but I'm not sure if there is any usage (smaller files first maybe).

Please send any comments - suggestions - ideas you have.

Thanks,
Peter (pj)

---
[0] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2010/SmartUploadServer