Re: Simple-CDD and USB install combo: How do I use preseeding?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:55:55AM +0000, Fredrik Israelsson wrote:
>    I now have a syslinux.cfg file that contains
>
>    default vmlinuz
>    append initrd=initrd.gz preseed/file=/cdrom/simple-cdd/default.preseed
>
>    and most of the preseeding seems to work. I still must make some choices
>    (install procedure language and keymapping among other things) in the
>    beginning, but I guess that that has do do with my preseed file not being
>    entirely correct.

you have to specify them in the syslinux.cfg, as preseeding isn't loaded before
those questions are asked:

  default vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.gz preseed/file=/cdrom/simple-cdd/default.preseed debian-installer/locale=en_US console-keymaps-at/keymap=us

i think you can short-hand it to simply locale, but i'm not sure the shorthand
for the keyboard settings.

>    I did have to use the option --force-root in order to get build-simple-cdd
>    to accept the preseeded root password. Is this a feature or a bug, one
>    wonders.

that's because it checks the preseed files for validity, and the password
database is owned by root. instead of running as root, i'd recommend running as
a non-root user and use --force-preseed (or force_preseed=true in any of the
profiles/*.conf). running simple-cdd as root is discouraged.

>    Thanks for all your help!

of course!

i should look into adding hd-media options to simple-cdd, as it doesn't sound
much different from the standard CD method.

live well,
  vagrant