Re: A new field in the task files for checking out prospective packages with `mr'?

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:

For packages already distributed by Debian, there are the VCS fields that
should allow to do it easily (or debcheckout?). For prospective packages, we
need to store the information by ourselves. How about adding extra fields in
the tasks files? The most straightforward would be to keep the 'VCS-' syntax
from the official packages, otherwise something like 'Pkg-Checkout' would be
fine…

I like this idea and I agree that we should keep the 'VCS-' syntax.
The two fields with prepended 'Pkg-' have the following reason:

  Pkg-Description: The prefix Pkg is needed to make sure blends-gen-control
                   will not mix up descriptions of prospective packages
                   with the Description which is intended for the metapackage.
  Pkg-URL: This just makes clear that it is the URL of the prospective
           package.

So if there is no tool that interprets the field in the tasks file the
wrong way (and I don't think there is any chance) you can use it freely.
Feel free to add those VCS fields - and write a tool that calls mr
apropriately.

Kind regards and thanks for the good idea

http://fam-tille.de