Re: Name poll (Was: New name: Call for opinions)

Le Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:24:15PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> But isn't Blend (untranslated) actually quite international.  French
> Wikipedia page knows "Blend" [1] and I'm always wondering whether translating
> the term is a good idea at all.

Hi Andreas,

the link you sent actually supports my point of view:

« Un blend ou blended whisky est un whisky issu de l'assemblage de
whiskies d’une ou de plusieurs distilleries. Il peut contenir des
whiskies de différentes années, de différentes origines (single malt,
bourbons, ryes) mélangés à du whisky de grain voire de l’alcool neutre. »

It is saying that a blend:

- Can be a mix from different vendors,
- Can be a mix between whisky and white alcool.

The article concludes that many breweries mostly product unbranded whisky
for J&B and Ballantine's.

If we identify Debian as a brewery and our CDDs as whiskys, "Blend" in
French conveys a completely wrong message. I can't judge for English...

I may be overcautious, but the conclusion I want to give is: test the
name in real life before adopting it.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy