Re: simple-cdd bzr working with etch again

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:23:09PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 3/4/07, vagrant@freegeek.org <vagrant@freegeek.org> wrote:
> >ok, i've applied patches from gustavo franco and raphael hertzog, with a
> >few additional fixes and modifications, and i think simple-cdd is
> >finally working with etch again. i used both debian-cd 3.0.0 in etch,
> >and from svn, and seemed to work fine with either.
>
> Hi Vagrant,
>
> The simple-cdd/profiles (into simple-cdd-profiles udeb) is still
> broken into my bzr branch. Have you solved the problem? How? FYI, if i
> don't pass simple-cdd/profiles=profile before installer boot it hangs
> during simple-cdd-profiles udeb installation, probably during the way
> we handle debconf. Thoughts?

i don't know if i've solved that problem, but i've never experienced it,
and i just failed to reproduce it using the x-basic and vserver example
profiles...

> >so, anyone want to sponsor an upload to debian, lest i need to rename it
> >Simple-DDD?
> >
> >it's still a little rough around the edges, but getting into debian
> >would get it a little more exposure, somewhere to track bugs, and then
> >CDDs could actually use it entirely within debian to make basic CDD CDs.
>
> I agree, but i prefer to prepare a Sacix Sagui (the next release) beta
> first. This way we can say for sure that multiple profiles and
> postinst works. Everything else looks ok to me.

sounds good. i do generally like to have things somewhat tested before
uploading them. :)

> >try it out and let me know what you think:
> >
> >http://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD
> >

> >at this point, it basically works and i would say is feature complete,
> >but i'd like to make some of the ideas more consistant, and do some code
> >cleanup(if not rewrite in python), network boot installs, and improve
> >the documentation... and, well, there's always more to do...
>
> I would like to rewrite Simple-CDD in Python during Lenny development
> cycle.

yeah, this is definitely an idea i've been kicking around too.

> I'm not sure how much time i'll have for this, only time will tell
> what's coming.

same here.

> I think that i should write down what Simple-CDD is doing and how it's
> doing

yes, this would be a good thing at this point... to get a conceptual
view of how it works... it's probably been a couple years since i looked
at it that way..

> and we could at least do what was done with ltsp shell script code
> (ltsp-build-client).

yes, we could split it into little modular plugins... shell or in
python.

> I like the mirror-tools/ thing and hate they way we install additional
> packages through extra stuff, maybe we could integrate the profiles
> with tasksel in a transparent manner for the users.

i'm open to ideas. i played around with tasksel some and that seems
possible... though i remember it being a little challenging to
implement for simple-cdd... don't remember what exactly..

live well,
  vagrant