Re: [NEWS] New debpartial-mirror release

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 05:52:59PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> From the description it sounds like reprepro is a superset of what
> debpartial-mirror can do. That is why I asked what is special about
> it. Maybe one of them can be replaced by the other and the devloper
> time pooled into one package alone.

debpartial-mirror does dependency resolution for it's packages, which i
haven't seen in reprepro without external tools. i think
debpartial-mirror's mirror-merging code is more sophisticated.

debpartial-mirror can also mirror other files that aren't part of the
package repositories, such as those needed in building a CD image with
debian-cd.

debpartial-mirror is also written in python (reprepro is written in C, i
believe), which means development *might* be easier for a wider group of people,
at the expense of system resources (i.e. CPU and ram). but that's pretty
much personal coding preferences. also, it's probably easier for other
python projects to incorporate or share code from debpartial-mirror(that
was the attempt with splitting some of the code into simple-cdd).

i've used both. the dependency resolution is crucial. i've often thought
about using python-cdd to write some dependency resolvers and then using
reprepro to generate the archive :)

live well,
  vagrant