Re: Google Summer of Code 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Well, I  think that the force of  PDK is that is  a rather general and
flexible  tool,   which  can   be    used  both   to generate    fully
Debian-contained CDDs,

No doubt about this - I've read the description, but CDD has more goals
than just creating CDs.

which are released when Debian is released, and
"independent" derivatives too,  where   external means that   1) there
might be additional packages which are  not included in Debian

... so we would leave the CDD area (which is mainly my point).  We have
no control over the quality of this stuff.

2) they
have a different release schedule than Debian. So it's a matter of how
you use it..

... and how you define the noun "Custom Debian Distribution". (Yes,
I know the noun is and was missleading and I hate that I agreed to the
name change from "Debian _internal_ projects".)

 AT>  So nothing against PDK but it will probably not work
 AT> for CDD development.  For instance I do not see a way to make use of
 AT> Debtags in PDK which I would really like to see in CDD tools.

Actually there are plans to add support  for it (I suggested it myself
[0]:), and it would be relatively easy.

Which would be great and as I said the tool itself sounds very cool
and we might be able to adopt things (or port it to a Debian internal
tool) but we just leave the goal we defined for a CDD.

Kind regards

http://fam-tille.de