Re: Examples for CDDtool

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:

 That was a temporary solution, I wrote that scripts to do things quickly
 without touching the cddtk code, but my idea is to remove them and put the
 functionality on the cddtool.
Fine.  Do you need help?

 The good long term solution is to use the ``Source:`` field for the CDD name.
Well currently the source of Debian-Med packages is "debian-med".  The
CDD name in the package building process would be only "med" because
the packages should be named only "med-<task>".  I would have no trouble
to rename the source to just "med" if you think that it is a good
solution to name the source like the CDD prefix of the meta packages.
I just want to mention that this would not work with current Debian-Med
and Debian-Junior, but we have to change a certain amount anyway ...

 For the current scripts it's enought to replace the CDD asignment with:

   CDD=`sed -n -e "s/^Source: \(.*\)$/\1/p" $CONTROL`
Sure, that's easy, but I wonder if we should immediately the cdbs helpers
in a common place.

 As I said, all that is done on those scripts would be included on the
 cddtool, but I don't know if I'll use the current model or a different one,
 we can talk about it.
Well, but we need something to play with. ;-)
Look, I gave you my nice toy (cdd package) in Florence 9 month ago?
I would love to start playing again. ;-)
So why not trying how this works in the current state.  I've got some
ideas what to do but I'm bound to wait ...

 The main problem is that I don't want to build the metapackages with the
 main CDD package; the idea is use them to resolve dependencies (something
 that can be done without actually installing them) and to install
 configuration files (those can be distributed with the cdd package and
 moved to the right places if a task is enabled, keeping all the CDD data
 only in one package).
Ups - I'm afraid I do not understand your plan.
(BTW, you did not answered my question whether I will meet you at
 DebConf5.)

 Anyway I'm still thinking about how I plan to do things and I've already
 uploaded a simple script to build empty packages to the ``cddtk/scripts``
 subdir that can be used to build metapackages on the local machine using
 only a binary package control file as input.
I just checked the new stuff out and will give it a try ...

 Sure, feel free to implement the support as you see more appropiate. My idea
 is that the menu thing is on the configuration space of the CDD, so probably
 the right thing to do would be to distribute the menu information for each
 task with the description and provide a script on the lliurex-runtime system
 to enable those menus when a task is enabled.
Yes, sure.  But I wrote some code to build the user menus from the menu
entries of the dependencies sorted into a hierarchy of our tasks.  This
makes things much easier, because in the most simple case you do not
have to provide anything - it is just there but you need some code
which is called in the postinst to sort this out.  This code is contained
in the cdd-common package.  Moreover this package contains the code to
maintain system users in CDD groups.  Just have a look into this package.
IMHO we can take it as it is for the moment.

 BTW, update your repository and take a look at the runtime system, it is not
 finished (the scripts cddtk-divert and cddtk-cfg are not written yet, I'll
 try to work on them this afternoo and tomorrow) but the documentation is
 already there... I'll write some examples as soon as I finish the scripts
 and start to move our CDD to use them.
OK, thanks.

   deb-src http://www.lliurex.net/archive llx0509 lliurex

 I've just uploaded there the latest versions of the cddtk and the
 lliurex-cdd packages... ;)
Thanks

http://fam-tille.de