Re: CDD-package inside of Debian or out?

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

One of the aims of Skolelinux is to fit on a single CD. Do we need
another tool for that or is cddtk the tool also for such "outer" factors
as distribution media limitations?
I don't know much about that.  It certainly depends from the amount of
software you are including.  (I don't think that cddtk will include
a better compression algorith than gzip/bzip2 ;-). )
As always, filing a wishlist bug report - preferably with a patch -
will probably work. ;-))

...and when they are just suggested, you need to manually and explicitly
pull them in. WHAM! there goes your automated distro build tool :-(
Well, there is no other chance I would see.  I think there is a configuration
option for most apt frontends to pull also suggested in.  Where is the
problem?

I want my CDD "source" to generate dependencies depending on the sources
available, not hardcoded dependencies!
OK, but even soft coded dependencies do will not help if the non-free stuff
is somewhere else.  I don't know if non-free is debtagged nor you can't be
sure that it is in the sources.list.

I want a tool not hardcoded to a specific package pool (typically being
that of the most recently released official common Debian distribution).
But were is the problem?  We write a tool which works inside a set of
packages which is able to handle this set of packages.  This is consistent,
isn't it.

Instead I want a tool dealing flexibly with packages available.
If you have any code at hand which works better - I guess nobody will
prevent you from including it. :)

That's why I see a point in using debtags instead of hardcoding.
I fail to see the difference.

Kind regards

http://fam-tille.de