Re: CDD-package inside of Debian or out?

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Hmm - why do we discuss something we seem to agree?
:)

The choice of MTA and the choice of desktop are just examples. Let's not
go into prioritizing my examples
I did not want to priorize the examples.  I just think you picked up two
examples from different groups of packages:  The first group with exim
contains basic functionality which does not come into vision of our intended
users (MTA, web server, cron daemon, etc.) and the other group is from a
group that is clearly visible for the user (Desktop environment, MUA, browser,
editor, ...)

- the point is that they are both
valid, and each CDD picks themselves what choices they want to remove,
wether we provide them an easy tool to do it with or not.
IMHO it is easier for a CDD to remove choices from the user for basic
functionality while we only can give suggestions for the other group.

Your vision of CDDs seems to be to support "production environments" -
school, medical, music, law.
Yes.

I just feel it wrong of us to constrain the
CDD framework to whatever we feel is sane: Someone might consider it
relevant to do a "gnome" CDD, with everything pure GNOME and explicitly
avoiding "pollution" from different suites. And similar with GNUstep or
KDE...
This are not really CDDs from my point of view: It is the task of the packagers
of these environments to build a reasonable environment.  If you look at

   $ apt-cache show gnome
   $ apt-cache show kde

these are more or less meta packages which just depend from all the other
packages which are needed.  But having a meta package does not make a CDD.
These packages just build up a general environment which is useful for any
user and not a very specific one (regarding to the tasks which should be
solved).

IMHO a CDD is more than building meta packages but care for the inclusion
of specific software, support upstream authors to enhance their programs to
make them fit for Debian, etc.

To express this in debtags-speak, you describe CDDs as tied to the use::
facet, and extending to combinations of use:: facets. I want CDDs to
make sense with whatever facet(s) having a community large/eager enough
to develop and maintain the CDD :-)
See above ... :)

Kind regards

http://fam-tille.de