Re: Gnome menu customization best practices?

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 09:35 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> My first question would be here, whether it would be possible to use
> the Debian menu system.  (Well, at first it has to be fixed to consider
> user menus ... Bill?)

I'm trying to change the Gnome Applications and Preferences menus, so I
don't think the Debian menu system will help me.

> > There are two ways to customize the Gnome menus: 1. editing the files in
> > /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders (and, in particular,
> > applications-all-users.vfolder-info and
> > preferences-all-users.vfolder-info, which specify the Applications and
> > Preferences menus, respectively); and 2. editing the .desktop
> > files supplied by the Debian packages to change the categories, which
> > determine where in the menus the menu items appear (and that's
> > assuming the custom distro is happy with the default menu structure).
>
> If I'm not wrong then these files are not under control of the Debian
> menu system but influence Gnome / KDE (freedesktop.org) menus directly.
> If you ask me we should rather try to provide an interface between
> Debian menu system and freedesktop.org menus.

That's right. An interface to the freedesktop.org menu system using the
standard Debian menu commands is a very interesting idea and may be a
good longer term solution.. however, as with all CDD issues, I'm also
faced with the question of how to do this in the absence of any larger
infrastructural changes, even if the short-term solution isn't pretty.

> I think both approaches are changing the menu for all users and do
> not have the option to provide different menus for different user
> roles.

That's true--we want to change the default menus. Of course,
users are free to change the menus to their liking using the
standard Gnome VFS interface after logging in for the first time. For
the longer term solution, having a mechanism that provides for
different default menus for different user roles is a very good idea.

--
Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." --Ogden Nash