Re: Gnome menu customization best practices?

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 09:35:42AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Ian Murdock wrote:
>
> >I've spent several days googling and experimenting with Gnome VFS
> >and the Gnome panel trying to come up with a way to easily customize
> >the Gnome menus for Componentized Linux in a way that 1. doesn't
> >violate Debian policy; and 2. diverges from Debian as little as
> >possible.
> My first question would be here, whether it would be possible to use
> the Debian menu system.  (Well, at first it has to be fixed to consider
> user menus ... Bill?)

It should be possible to fix GNOME to consider user menus, but someone
needs to tell me how. See bug #259400.

For KDE, update-menus build custom .desktop/.directory/.menu files from
the menu database (see menu-xdg).
This is probably a better option that diverting .desktop files provided
by packages.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>