Re: CDDs creators working with Debian

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 09:36:34AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:
>
> > I also don't know if cdd-doc is in a releasable state yet. Sorry fo being
> > lax on this,
> s/lax/realistic/
>
> > Sure, if it has now content about localisation it's worth making it know
> > to the people which we are trying to bring to work with us.
> Well it's not really "content" - just mentioning it.  I see cdd-doc as a
> collection of ideas which were just worth expressed in sentences and
> paragraphs but it is not a really well written paper ready for
> publication.  Moreover it is "self-centric" in this sense that I was
> not able to say more about other things.
>
> > Yes, we need more translations. But I think we should have a first
> > version which wouldn't be changing too much so translators could work on
> > this without too much trouble.
> This is exactly what I wanted to say.  On the other hand when I wrote
> my Debian-Med paper I started in English and then translated back into
> my mother language German.  In this process of translation I found many
> things to fix and to explain better.  So just "looking at it from a
> translators point of view" might enhance the text at a whole.
>
> > Maybe we could freeze it when we agree it's ready, put it in a branch in
> > whatever version control system we are using and keep working on
> > new content in "trunk" (or "HEAD" for CVS people) ?
> Keeping in mind what I wrote above I would freeze a 0.9 version and
> change it if needed when something shows up in the translation process.
>
> > I know a guy who said me he was working on translating it to Brazilian
> > Portuguese. Don't know how's the status of his work, but I'll try to get
> > in contact with him and ask him.
> So, make sure that he will not be to shy to change the English version
> and does not hide new ideas.

He sent us (me and Otávio) a PDF which has some a Brazilian Portuguese
translation of your docs (not sure if it's complete tough, need to
check) and, as he said, something that he tought would be nice to add
also, originally not found in your docs (well, that's what he said).

However, as he said, it's not based on the current version found on our
SVN repository. I already invited him to subscribe to
debian-custom@l.d.o so we can all discuss together.

> > That's my opinion also, but I really don't want to step ahead and do
> > anything without prior agreement from everyone involved. Also, I want to
> > make sure that the people to which I could give a copy of the letter are
> > going to make it clear to the governement guy that it's a community
> > project thing and not something they created, invented or whatever.
> Hmmm, do you see chances that they do so?  And even if, I would not
> mind if the Brasilian government would pay some Debian developers to
> work on CDD and claim it a Brasilian government effort in your region.
> The international community will understand the issue outside of
> Brasil.

I don't really think there's a chance they would use this opportunity to
gain credit for themselves but I'm always worried with these things :-)
I would love if I could talk to people well enough to give them the idea
of what's the CDD Project, why it's good, why we should work together,
etc. That way I could talk to people myself and not ask others to do so :-)

I'll try to translate back to Brazilian Portuguese the letter Michelle
posted here and we all improved so I can give them a copy of it and ask
them if they could hand a copy of it to te governement guy.

Regards,

--
||  André Luís Lopes                 andrelop@debian.org                ||