Re: Configuration management

El Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:31:46PM -0300, Jonas Smedegaard va escriure:

> Martin Langhoff (NZL) wrote:
> | Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> |> or why
> |>
> |> I can speak about "why cfengine" if you haven't discussed it already.
> |>

> | maybe we should have a "managed configuration BoF" if there isn't one.
> | Back @ home, and following the philosophy best described by Steve
> | Traugott (http://infrastructures.org/) we are working on managing
> | servers & workstations from a central server that holds:
>
> cfengine is both a scripting language and client-server tools for
> maintaining configuration of whole network of different machines.
>
> I will be interested in discussing _atomic_ management tools, but not
> "grand setups" like you describe.
>
> The cfengine scripting language is used heavily by FAI and also by
> Skolelinux to hack around non-debconf'ed configuration changes.
>
> Currently cfengine scripts are invented from scratch in each project.
> CDD and live-CDs could benefit from coordinating cfengine scripts used
> for tweaking configurations of Debian packages (and sure, in 10 years
> when all maintainers are convinced to add low priority debconf tags for
> things they don't think of themselves this will be obsolete...).

  Well, in Valencia we talked about this issue and we agreed that having low
  priority debconf questions is a good thing, but we need a standard way
  of applying the changes on configuration files to avoid the need of
  extra patches for each package that needs an extra debconf question.

  The tool to apply this changes is something that has to be found, we
  talked about using cfengine for this, mainly because it is available
  and known to work, but maybe Config4GNU is better for the task, we
  just need to try both and decide.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69