Re: CDD subset mirror neccessary?

El Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:04:07PM +0200, C. Gatzemeier escribió:
> Am Wednesday 05 May 2004 09:46 schrieb Sergio Talens-Oliag:
>
> >   The reduced mirror makes sense for the School Servers, for example.
> >   Using our package lista and debmirror they can have an updated local
> >   copy of the supported packages using less diskspace and less bandwith.
>
> You can use apt-cache for this, you know? I am using it and it works out
> great. Granted the visible list of packages is not reduced (without debtags).
> But I didn't really understand yet why you'd want to subset the packages list
> down anyway. Just makes installing the next little utility not in your subset
> harder than a simple apt-get install.

  Well, it depends on what do you plan to use this Package and/or Source
  lists for, there are many ways to do partial mirrors, but that's not
  the main reason for this, I only mentioned it as a thing it can be
  used for.

  If you want the full Debian you use the standard apt-source line and
  nothing changes, that's O.K., but my idea is that the users of the
  reduced Packages list don't want or need anything outside the CDD.

> Don't know if the install CD generation does have anything to do with the
> packages list or if uses other information like the maybe dpkg selections.

  Yes, this reduced Packages and Sources lists can be used to build
  install CDs for a CDD, but as I said before that's not the reason of
  having this tool. Anyway, if I implement this you don't need to use
  it, it's just that I think I'll use it.

  Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69