How can I help?

I joined this list last week at the suggestion of someone on the Knoppix
list.  Knoppix has been an incredibly useful tool, but now that I have a
clue about what is practical, I'd like to build my own LiveCDs.  I've
tried remastering from the Knoppix CD, but there are too many packages
that won't uninstall cleanly.  So, here I am, ready to work on building
LiveCDs from the ground up.  I haven't actually run a Debian system in a
number of years (that's a separate rant), so much of the discussion here
is a little over my head.

Here's where I'm trying to get to:  I'd like to be able to specify a set
of repositories, a set of packages, run a script and have the ISO file
ready to burn at the end.  Nice and easy.  And very reproduceable.

So, what can I do to help?  Where should I go from here?

-- Matt
A man with one watch always knows what time it is, a man with two watches
is never quite sure.