Re: Knoppix to Debian - A Roadmap what needs to be done

"C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier@tu-bs.de> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, 15. April 2004 13:41 schrieb Ben Armstrong:
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:39:21AM +0200, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:
>> >   If I am right my answer to your question is in no one; I don't think
>> >   is a good idea to include packages in the Distribution that are only
>> >   useful when installed on the LiveCD chroot.
>>
>> It is unavoidable.  And there are precedents in Debian already, although I
>> don't recall specific packages.
>
> Package file-rc came to my mind even though it seems more of a replacement
> than a parallel alternative.
> Not sure though if an alternative for LiveCDs would justify a separate section
> or some say debian-live-autodetection and debian-live-ro-root packages could
> do.
>
> Christian

We are talking about section as in admin, devel, libs, doc, ...,
right?

Not section like main, contrib, non-free.

A section like admin would sort all the live-cd packages under one
heading in dselect or aptitude. Thats what I would prefer.

If you mean section like main then I would suggest main/live-cd just
like main/debian-installer. I don't think that splitting the live-cd
debs from normal main is needed though. They should coexists or you
get the effect you have now when upgrading knoppix.

MfG
        Goswin