Re: Use of the first person in messages from the computer

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 01:57:24PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 01:29:08PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > The computer is not a person.
>
> There there, havelock.liw.fi, don't listen to the *mean* man who
> says you're not a person. You are too a person! Tell you what,
> it's a magical Internet, ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!

Hey, no one's racist here.

Just write some software that passes the Turing test, and teach it enough to
contribute in non-mindless tasks or at least troll a funny way, and I bet
folks like the Debian crowd will have no problems taking it for a kind of a
person.  "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."

With no sentience, though, sorry... a tool's a tool.

So we're not racists, sexists or speciesists, but still mindists.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple