Re: Why no Opera?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 07:43:23PM +0200, s. keeling wrote:
> government monopoly on health care = everybody gets the same pathetic
> level of service.  Equality is not quality.  It's easier and quicker
> to get an MRI for a dog here (Canada) than it is to get one for a
> human.

If you don't have enough money for one, then it isn't.  Remember many
people don't have much money to do with.  Everyone that claims private
healthcare is better are people with plenty of money.

> free market health care = what?  The US' system, hobbled by a broken
> legal system where ambulance chasers can sue anybody for anything with
> impunity?  Physicians in the US have to cover their asses with
> excessive, unneeded treatments to protect themselves from the legal
> system.  That's a free market hobbled by a broken legal system.

Yeah the legal system is majorly broken in the US.

> Uh huh.  You don't think six months on a waiting list for an MRI is a
> little excessive?  The system also gets to say that you will or will
> not get the procedure depending on circumstances.  If you're old and
> they decide you're not expected to live for much longer, good luck on
> getting that operation which might make the few years yo have left
> worth living.  Bureaucrats as gatekeepers of the health care system.
> Brilliant.

There are also countries in europe without any waiting lists with public
healthcare.  So it can be done.  Just because Canada isn't managing
doesn't mean it can't be done.

> Don't get me started on public transit.  :-P

Well, Toronto could use a much better one.  Not sure about the rest of
Canada.

--
Len Sorensen