[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Automatic retrieval of information from qa.debian.org

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:46:52PM -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> In spanish, using doctor means both a person with a PhD and (mistakenly) an
> MD. When talking in spanish, I normally tell people to use the word medico
> to refer to physicians, and to use doctor only for PhDs.[1]
> Is this the case elsewhere?

In the UK a "doctor" is either a medical practitioner or a PhD. But it is far
more commonly used to refer to a medical practitioner. PhDs usually only call
themselves "Doctor" in professional circles. If a PhD were to introduce 
themselves to a member of the general public as "Doctor Smith" the other
person would assume they were a medical practitioner and immediately start
talking about their bad leg, so a PhD will not use "Doctor" in day-to-day


Be kind to pigeons        - -        Pigeon's Nest: http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21C61F7F

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: