Re: GCC 4.1 now the default GCC version for etch

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:17:08AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> So goodbye to mmx, and various other crap thigns.  x87 is supported on
> current CPUs but there are feature flags that will permit the removal of
> x87 support in the future.  Both linux and windows encourage the use of
> sse instead of x87 for floating point, and I believe all compilers by
> default do so in long mode for all current OSs that support amd64, so
> the removal shouldn't be a problem sometime in the future (although
> doing so would I suppose prevent running 32bit floating point
> applications anymore without recompiling those for sse.)

The lack of x87 wouldn't be a problem.  At least, i386 still has the
code left from the old days and will emulate it transparently; when
such an amd64 CPU pops out the x87 emulation can be ported.

In fact, it has a separate hardware path from all other types of
unknown opcodes (INT7 instead of INT6); x87 was _designed_ to be
emulated if not present from the very start.

Cheers,
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be