Re: unreproducable bugs

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:43:46 +0100, Rich Walker <rw@shadow.org.uk> said:

> You scale an organisation, I understand, by removing the *need* for
> everyone in it to be a genius at everything it does.

> Hence the comment about the US army: "designed by genius to be run
> by sergeants".

        Ah yes. How does one handle long open unreproducible bugs
 after a few releases -- the work requiring genius.

        Who am I to stand in the way of changing times? Since I have
 been around longer than most people in Debian, here is  my terribly
 clever best practice for a critical process that debian developers
 are supposed to practice frequently -- very frequently (the
 recommended rate is about 15-20 repetitions per minute), namely,
 breathing.

        That this is a critical process is clearly demonstrable, and
 that there needs to be strict guidelines on the rate at which it is
 practiced is also of prime importance. Raising the rate too high
 results in a deprecated condition called "hyper ventilating". The
 side effects can be light headedness -- consider the harm if the
 entire project failed to follow the guidelines.

        The effects on the project can be even more pronounced if a
 majority of the developers were so lax as to  not practice this
 activity for even as short an interval as, say, 5 to 10 minutes. The
 effects would be felt even more in small teams, like, say, security,
 or ftp-masters, if they grow this lax.

        So, having given the rationale for the importance of this best
 practices document snippet, allow me to present the best practice
 itself: (details in
 http://www.mtsu.edu/~jshardo/bly2020/respiratory/ventilation.html)

        At the start of the cycle, remember to relax the Dome-shaped
 skeletal muscle that forms floor of thoracic cavity.   Diaphragm
 relaxes & shortens pleural cavities, thus decreasing intrathoracic
 volume. Lungs elastically recoil, chest wall & abdominal organs help
 compress lungs, increasing alveolar pressure & air flows out.
 External intercostals relax, ribs & sternum move downward & inward,
 decreases anterior-posterior diameter. Air flows out.  This is
 a Passive process.

        Hold for a short time. Due to the recomeded period of this
 activity, it is not recommended that you hold for more than a second
 or so.

         Contraction of diaphragm causes it to flatten &  lengthen the
 pleural cavities, thus increasing intrathoracic volume. Lungs expand,
 decreasing alveolar pressure within lungs & atmospheric air flows
 in. Contraction of external intercostal muscles pull ribs & sternum
 upward & outward, increases anterior-posterior thoracic diameter by
 20%. Air flows in.  This is the active part of the process.

        It is imperative that Debian developers remember to invoke
 this active process several times a minute. Laxity in this can
 severely hurt the project.

        Indeed, failure to follow this policy may result in an RC bug
 or orphaning of all the packages held by the lax developer.

        manoj
--
Just remember: when you go to court, you are trusting your fate to
twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!