Re: spyware

On Tuesday May 10 2005 10:12 pm, Ernst Doubt wrote:

> Is it really a personal problem if I only really boot into windows
> regularly to update spyware, anti-vir and windows updates (so that
> I'll always have a working windows environment in the uncommon case
> that an XP vmware instance isn't sufficient)?

Yeah, but honestly, how often does that happen?  Why waste the drive
space on an OS better left to the history books and emulators anyway?

Anything that doesn't run natively I can just run in Cedega instead
(sometimes more smoothly than the same program does running natively
in Windows on the same hardware[1]).  What doesn't run is either 1)
Microsoft's invention and probably shouldn't run under Windows (but
does anyway, like PowerPoint and Outlook), 2) foolishly depends on a
Windows-specific bug that would be a bad idea to reproduce, or (most
rarely) 3) depends on Windows features not yet implemented in Cedega.

My only real peeve with Cedega is that Transgaming is acting
*extremely* selfishly towards the Wine project.  Without Wine,
Transgaming wouldn't have a leg to stand on today.  Though this is
fairly consistent with the pompous, self-righteous
God's-gift-to-mankind attitude the CEO has in his writings on the
company website...

[1] The only reason I know this is because I built my machine and a
week later my roommate came and bothered me at work at my last job to
have a machine identical to mine put together (I ended up building
his machine, too).

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca