Re: We are hiding problems

"Brooks R. Robinson" <brooks.robinson@rides.com> writes:

> | social contract item 3:

> | > [...]
> | > [...examples of some real or percieved problems within Debian...]
> |
> | Should we start to submit bugs against persons, instead of packages???
>
> If it were only that easy.  But then again, how do you patch a person?

Well, thats not overly complicated:

1) Get a DNA sample of all DDs

2) Completely sequence the DNA of all DDs

3) Make the sequenced DNA data available as Debian packages, one per
   Maintainer. I propose to reserve the dd-dna-* package name
   namespace for this (exact prefix is subject to discussion). The
   corrsponding source package (I think it's best to have only on
   source package, with new releases when a new DD enters the project
   and her DNA data is included) would be containing the DNA data in a
   form suitable for 'diff/patch' patching. The binary packages would
   contain the comressed DNA data, to be viewed by a specialized DNA
   viewer software (IPT pending) - this way our users can easily
   inspect the DNA of their favourite (or most hated ;) DD.

4) Now everyone can submit patches against the DNA source
   package. When a new version including new patches is uploaded, a
   soon-to-go-online special buildd will create clones of the DDs from
   the patched DNA data. Once the clones are surrected, they will
   replace the existing DDs (I'll not go into the gory details of how
   they will displace the existing DDs in a public forum, but I'm
   happy to provide details in private mail).

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at

It's *GNU*/Linux dammit!