Re: unhappy customer

yes...it is all relative....
personally i find calculus to be challenging..however i have a surfer
friend who cant keep 2 dimes in checking account but can do quadratic
equations in his head..(we believe him to have 'Rainman' syndrome...the
more drugs he takes, the smarter he gets...its really freaky)
linux is for people who like to tinker w/their systems......
generalizations like linux is easy or hard (which prompted this thread)
is like Barbie saying 'math is hard'--It can be, it cannot be...it
depends on the individual....
M$ has catered itself to the 'point and click' generation....
used to there were very few gui(s) for linux apps...now most apps
include a command line interface OR a gui frontend, you can take your
pick......
most of the newer distros can automatically set up a system w/very few
questions or clicks.....like it or not that is what the majority of
'puter users want and Mr.Gates has taken that knowledge and used it to
his advantage...us linux folk need to educate the masses--not chastise
them..those who dont study the past are bound to repeat its failures
(pkzip for dos was tons better than winzip...ALL thru its history it had
a better compression algorithm than winzip...but winzip had a snazzy
user interface...now it is on 90% of windows users desktops NOT pkzip)
just remember if the 'BETTER' product won all the time we would all have
Beta machines in our dens and Tucker's parked in our driveways...
-Later,
DAVE
--
Linux because I am a geek
Debian because I am a super-geek!

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:32:10PM +0200, Ulrich Fürst wrote:
> > Hubert Chan wrote:
> > >I wonder if that isn't a general GNU/Linux problem, and not just
> > >Debian.  e.g. I wonder if RedHat would be different.
> > O.K. I must admit that I never installed another distribution. (I
tried
> > to install RedHat but had to find out, that I couldn't boot from
DVD)
> > But you wanted to know why people think it's difficult to install
debian
> > so I described how I see it.
>
> I don't think you can make a simple statement of hard/easy for
GNU/Linux