Re: Not Nice sticker

According to David L. Zoll,

> > > Why?  I thought the joke was pretty funny, personally. *shrug* :)
> >
> > You can always argue about humour being perceived differently
> > depending on the people, but that one is a bit too "stretched" for
> > me (sorry for my English). Won't debate it any longer.
>
> Yeah, Windows, while annoying and buggy, didn't start assuming serious
> centralized dictatorial control over people until XP, which was
> released in 2001, not 1998. ;-)

Well, the inability to buy a computer w/o Windows installed started
years before, and Windows would sabotage you if it detected
DR-DOS instead of MS-DOS as far back as the Windows-on-DOS days (3.x).
The "you must run our browser" and "you must run our media app" thing
was certainly part of the W98 era, if not already in W95.

> But seriously, yes, we all know that Windows attempts at control is
> not in the same league as Stalin's (Moskwa '24) or Hitler's (Berlin
> '33), ...

True, they have not actually killed dissidents ( as far as I know.  ;-) )

> ... but considering the sticker is in Polish I think they of all
> people have a right to poke fun at it, and us to appreciate their wit.
> Poland has been treated terribly by all three.

Amen to that.