Re: cliff dump

Hugh Saunders wrote:
> clueless question: how would i produce a document with vim and latex?
> latex blurb [from what i have read] says that latex is a set of macros
> for tex, but i dont really know what tex is apart from that its
> something to do with typesetting. So is the idea you produce a file with
> vim, then parse it with tex/latex/something which outputs a postscript
> file???
> A bit like an html file is parsed by a browser...?

Yeah, pretty much.
Minimal LaTeX document:
  \documentclass{article}
  \begin{document}
  This a paragraph with \emph{emphasized text} and \texttt{typewriter
  text}.

  This is another paragraph.
  \end{document}

If you saved it to foo.tex, you'd run 'latex foo' to get foo.dvi, which
is viewed with xdvi. You could convert that to postscript using dvips.

I learned LaTeX from a book, but you could prolly learn it on the net.

HTH,

Jason McCarty