Re: Oh well :)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:29:20PM -0600, Nathan E Norman scribbled:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:57:39PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7598
> >
> > A really good reading, heh :-). Enjoy :)
>
> If you don't know anything about software development, it's really
> easy to make several inane statements and then draw conclusions from
> those "facts".  To bad the guy wasn't bold enough to post his email
> address; I could add it to my kill filter straight away :-)
There is one, at the bottom of the story - look at the 'Flame Editor' link :)
I doubt he's the author, but still :)

> I tend to not get too bent out of shape over articles like this.  Call
I was mostly amused by it, but also a bit shocked at the level of ignorance
presented there.

> me an elitist, but people like the author of said article (and anyone
> who after reading it says "Hey, yeah, that makes sense!") really
> aren't the kind of people we need running linux anyway.  (HINT: many
> insecure linux installations are administrated by dumbasses).
I agree, but to give them a benefit of doubt - some linux distros are quite
badly secured after the initial install. And I mean just the sane selection
of net-accessible software and its settings. If a newbie installs such a
distribution, they are unwillingly opening their host up for the attackers -
and that's not really their fault.

marek