Re: Technology and historical continuity...

In article <20030201033547.GA1592@pinky.notnet.co.uk> me@moohf.org.uk writes:
>One of the longest bits of Narrow-guage railway being, of course, the
>Australian sugar cane railway,

If what I've heard about the Russian railways is true, the
trans-siberia dwarfs anything in Australia.  Russia supposedly uses a
guage slightly narrower than standard, so their engines and stock can
run sloppily on standard guage, but an invading army's stock can't run
on the Russian rails without modification.  This hampered the Germans
in WWII, as they either had to move to captured equipment or widen
captured rails.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html