Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 05:07, Alexander Hvostov wrote:

> > You missing a major factor about flash memory, they have a limited
> > number of write operations.
>
> Wasn't that problem resolved a long time ago?

No. But if you don't do a large amount of writing (noatime should help,
so could keeping most everything mounted ro, using ramdisks for /tmp,
etc.) and use write leveling (CF does, I believe) it should last a
while.

And the power savings over a hard disk are quite impressive...

Of course, if you want to use a hard disk, might I suggest some padding?
> "After a memory cell has been rewritten x times, it will no longer hold
> what was written."

"After a memory cell has been erased x times, it breaks."