Re: Sexism At Debian

<quote who=Paul E Condon when=Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:10:52 -0800>

> I wonder about a somewhat more serious topic:
> I am already aware that some Debian people are female, judging by
> their given names. What is an appropriate why to refer to these people
> as a class? What is a way that is not taken as an offense by any?
>
> Debian girls?
> Debian women?
> Debian ladies?
> Debian birds? (Aussie)
         ^^^^^   ^^^^^^
[...]

"Bird" is too ambiguous. Technically speaking Tux is a bird.

Actually the Australians have borrowed that term from the British. Along
with many others. Examples: "tah luv", "cheers mate", Tony Blair is a
"dodgy bloke", an "alright [1]bird" etc etc.

There are many similarities between the colloquial English spoken in
East London and parts of England to that spoken in many of the former
British colonies. Although not so much in Scotland for some reason.

/me runs for cover =;)

 [1] Very much an affectionate term devoid of any possibly offensive
     connotations.

--
|    ^    | Marlon Sandford                   |  Confucius say:       |
| /{   }\ | Mobile: +44 07855 627468 (London) | http://www.debian.org |
|  ^^-^^  | xealon.com/marlon/publickey.txt   | http://www.gnu.org    |