Re: billions and billions of stars.... was: Re: Another easter egg in gnome-something...

Rob Starling wrote:

> > > American billion.  (Apologies to all other countries who use one or the other.)

> > >What the heck do the British call 10^9?  And further more, is 10^15 a
> > >trillion (in the British system)?
> >
> > I'm not British, but I believe the system is:
> >
> >                  American        British
> > 1000            Thousand        Thousand
> > 10^6            Million         Million
> > 10^9            Billion         Thousand Million (or a Milliard)
> > 10^12   Trillion                Billion
> > 10^15   Quadrillion     Thousand Billion
> > 10^18   Quintillion     Trillion
> > 10^21   Sextillion      Thousand Trillion
> > 10^24   Septillion      Quadrillion
> > etc.
>
> which actually makes more sense than the american system --
> in the american system, a "bi-illion" is not two of anything that
> a "mono-illion" is one of.  however, in the british system, think
> of a million as a factor of 10^6 -- then a "bi-illion" is simply
> two of the factors, or 10^12 (and so on with a "tri-illion" -
> 10^18)
>
> the american system is a wacky off-by-one kinda of thing, where
> a "million" is *two* factors of 10^3, a "billion" is *three* of
> these factors, a "trillion" *four*, and so on.
>
> at least the SI prefixes are unchanged in the british system!
> --Rob

Just for add to the fun, I'd say that in México (and every
spanish-speaking country I believe) we use

10^3 		mil
10^6		millón
10^9		mil millones
10^12		billón

etc. Similar to the british system.

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | El tiempo sin ti es....   "empo"
http://counter.li.org      /\    |