Re: A good charge against free operating systems

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 08:27:14PM +0100, Jens Luedicke wrote:

> Great. But what happens if something is messed up with the system?
> Is is desireable that those "end users" need to call a friend or a
> service guy to fix a problem? I still think if you own a computer
> you should be able to handle it's basic problems and diseases.

First, those users can hardly mess up the system provided that they
don't mess with the hardware. Of course they have no root-access. They
moment I give away the root-password is the moment I am no longer
responsible for the system.
Second, from my point of view every user should learn the basics of a
computer, but maybe this is asking too much.
Phil