GPG difficulties, etc. (was Re: Report yourself to the BSA)

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 09:12, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> Yes, sorry to be annoying...

Apology accepted. ;)

> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: Signature made Sat Jan  4 04:46:48 2003 CET using DSA key ID 758D7ED9
> gpg: BAD signature from "Alexander Hvostov (Primary) <alex@aoi.dyndns.org>"

Known bug. See Debian bug report #175159.

> You have
> > Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
>
> I have
> evolution 1.2.1-1.1 (this is Debian evolution + Jeffs latest patch, home
> built) and gnupg-1.2.1-2.

I don't recommend using the -1.1 part of the 1.2.1-1.1 version. Instead,
use something like 1.2.1-1.local.1. Then it won't clash if the Evolution
maintainer issues a -1.1 release (which does happen sometimes).

Who is Jeff?

> Now it gets interesting. Was this message damaged?

Doesn't look to be damaged as described in my bug report (the extra
newline isn't there). Curious. Maybe the bug was fixed in the patch you
applied.

I did get some very curious gpg output when trying to verify it, though:

	gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
	gpg: Signature made Sat 04 Jan 2003 09:12:58 AM PST using DSA key ID
E5A7F7D6

No mention of whether or not the signature was good or not. One time I
ran it, it also said that there was no valid OpenPGP data found. WTF?

I think the reason is because of some extraneous data included in the
signature part of your email. After the armored signature itself is
this:

	Signature policy: http://fortytwo.ch/legal/gpg/email.20020822

That probably violates protocol, and is definitely confusing my mail
reader! Not to mention nobody will ever see it unless they 'view source'
or similar and look at your signature part.

How on earth did you get Evolution to stuff that in there, anyway?
Hacked it?

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key