That merged-usr is mandatory is RC

Control: severity -1 serious

In #923091, Guillem (with dpkg maintainer hat on) asks for a
base-installer option to allow installing buster without merged-usr.

Guillem filed the bug as `wishlist' but given the controversy it seems
to me that it should be RC if for no other reasons than social
cohesion.

CCing the TC FYI (they have already been involved in merged-usr
debates via #914897) and the release team, in case they have an
opinion.  FAOD I am not a maintainer of base-files but AFAICT the
base-files maintainer has not expressed an opinion about severity.