[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#727708: Call for votes on init system resolution

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Just to be very clear here, I do believe that we're deadlocked, even
>> though I expect the resolution process to be able to spit out a
>> decision.  I don't mean deadlocked in the sense that Condorcet will
>> fail, but rather deadlock in the sense that the preferences above FD
>> will result in a tie and the question will be decided by casting vote.

> What would you think is the way forward in this case? A GR after all?

Yes, which is what will happen anyway.  Multiple people have already
indicated their intention to hold a GR on this topic given various
possible outcomes.

Given that the GR is happening anyway, I don't think it's particularly
harmful for the TC to arrive at a decision via casting vote, since the
casting vote decision will not actually be the final decision for the
project.  But I think the final decision in this case will have to be made
by GR.

If the TC had been able to reach consensus, or at least a strong majority,
it's possible that we would have avoided that, but given the essentially
equal split over the primary question, I don't think there's a way to
avoid it, and it's not clear to me that we even *should* avoid it.

I'm sorry that y'all are going to have to go through the same discussion
process that we went through, since it's quite exhausting.  Hopefully the
extensive analysis and discussion record done by the TC will be useful to
project members at large in forming their own opinions, and will allow
people to avoid having to redo some of our research.

Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Reply to: