Re: Picking a new member - process [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> But, having said that, if there are candidates that Russ thinks ought to
> be on the ballot then all that has to happen is for him to propose them.
> But personally I think it would be better not to vote on candidates that
> (based on the private discussion) we don't think stand a serious chance
> of winning.

I would vote many other candidates above further discussion.  However,
based on the previous discussion, I believe one of the two people
currently on the ballot are most likely to win, so from that perspective
adding more people seems unlikely to change the outcome.

> I think that the consensus is indeed that we should have one of the two
> people currently on the ballot.  There is disagreement or uncertainty
> about which.

Okay, that makes sense.

> There is no agreement about what the criteria are for being on the
> ballot.  The Constitution sets the process, and it is clear from it that
> TC members are free to nominate anyone they feel like.

> My personal view is that I would definitely want to vote on my own first
> choice.

> If I felt there was a significant chance of the vote going to someone I
> felt unsuitable I would want to nominate all the suitable candidates
> with a chance of winning.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.

That also makes sense.  I think I was just confused as to what process we
were using.

> I would normally rather avoid voting on a candidate that any TC member
> had said they would rank below FD (assuming that the TC member who said
> this had what appeared to me to be cogent reasons).  Certainly, I would
> not nominate such a candidate unless I felt they had a good chance of
> winning.  The reason being that it is not worth forcing other TC members
> to decide between snubbing the candidate and misrepresenting their
> views, unless we really have to to get the right answer.

I do think this is unfortunate, although that doesn't mean I think you're
wrong.

Were I a candidate, I would be happy to be voted on, even if that meant
being voted below further discussion, because that would be useful
feedback to me.  However, I would probably want to ask the people who
voted that way why they voted that way, and I recognize that may be an
uncomfortable line of discussion.  I think it's an uncomfortable line of
discussion that I'd benefit from, and I'd try to treat it as constructive
feedback.

That said, I realize that the possible personal tensions here are awkward,
which is part of why the DPL vote is anonymous.

I don't have any good solutions.  I don't really have any cogent reasons
not to go down the path that we're on, now that I understand it.  It feels
to me like open voting on everyone nominated would be more ideal for
openness and for public feedback, but also riskier, and possibly
uncomfortable.