Re: Picking a new member - process [and 1 more messages]

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Ian Jackson wrote:
> chance of winning.  The reason being that it is not worth forcing
> other TC members to decide between snubbing the candidate and
> misrepresenting their views, unless we really have to to get the right
> answer.
>
> Or to put it another way: I am content to vote on a short slate if the
> results of that are going to be the same as a hypothetical (honest)
> vote on all the candidates.  In this situation, voting on a short
> slate avoids the need for TC members to disclose opinions which are
> socially troublesome and not relevant to the actual decision.

Several comments:

- all candidates should be aware that there would be a public vote so they
  sort of accepted the consequences

- you don't have to justify your vote and thus you can avoid expressing
  any "socially troublesome" opinion that you might have

- this process leaves the good (but not winning) candidates on the side
  just like the supposedly-bad ones that you want to protect... and this
  can mis-interpreted by the good candidates as the fact that TC-members
  have "socially troublesome opinions" about them.

- some candidates might be interested in the vote results even if they
  know that they won't win

- (putting aside my own candidacy) somehow I have the feeling that the
  list of candidates for the TC should be made public anyway, if not for
  transparency, at least to thank them for having volunteered.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/